Karl - Manlius, New York

I believe that everyone should have an education. I think that it is essential for success in today’s world. An education is one thing that cannot be taken from someone. Everyone should be educated, because everyone can make a contribution that moves the world forward. I think that everyone has a thirst for knowledge, but certain subjects do not interest him or her.

Many people that make advances in society are just normal people, but they have been taught how to think. Since they have been taught how to think they can formulate their own ideas and thoughts. These thoughts may turn into something big, like a technological breakthrough. The people that invented computers, some of the wealthiest and thought to be some of the smartest people in our society today did not even graduate from college until after they had created and developed their machine. I think that too many people in the United States today take their education for granted. In other parts of the world people do not get a formal education, and if they are lucky enough to get one they often are not allowed to express their thoughts or opinions.

In the United States people must pay thousands of dollars to get their children a college education. In many European countries college funding comes from the taxpayers. This is good in many ways. If a person in the United States went to school for thirteen years, and then wanted to go to college, but did not have the money people would just say too bad. If the United States adopted the idea of taxpayers paying for college tuition then even if the person could not pay taxes, they could still go to college. In the United States one must go to school for at least ten years.

If everyone were educated, it would cut down on the amount of crime happening in the cities. It seems that everywhere there are large cities there is a much lower graduation percentage and in turn there is more crime. I think this is because people do certain crimes to make money. If everyone were educated, then they would also know the consequences of committing crimes. I do not think that everyone in today’s world can handle the responsibilities of getting an education, or being educated. Since getting an education would get kids off the streets, there would be much less tragedy and fewer murders.

People do everything for a reason, and I do not think that one would go to school for about thirteen years to go and totally forget about their education. I also believe that one can only get as much out of things as they put into them. If one does not put a lot into trying to get educated, then they can only be as successful in the real world as they were in school. Yet being educated does not mean getting top marks in all of your classes. To me being educated means that you can understand how to do things, and giving everything you do one hundred percent all the time.