Caleb - Manlius, New York

I believe that homework for students in school should be limited or even eliminated. From all the days I’ve spent in school, I’ve learn that it can be very stressful. Most students can easily say that once 8th period is over the last thing they want to do is go home, hunker down, and do some more work for a couple more hours.

Kids in high school get a lot of homework, and everybody knows it. But homework has to be done. It helps kids learn more outside of the classroom. Unfortunately when there’s all that homework plus extracurricular activities and sports kids can stay up to all hours a night working on homework. Then they have to get up in just a few more hours and go do the same thing all over again.

If kids had less homework then they would have the ability to do more things like have a job. If they had a job it would be one more thing to keep kids out of trouble, plus it would help them make a few more dollars so that they could do more things with their friends. A job is very important to teenagers because they need to get used to the work atmosphere and learn to manage there time. Homework makes having a job very difficult because kids can’t do very well at work when they’re thinking of ways to get their homework done for tomorrow. Plus work is a very positive experience for kids and they can learn many new things and maybe even help them figure out what they want to do as a career.

I learned in health class that kids need time for themselves. They also need a lot of time to do things with their friends to reduce their stress level. The more stressed that teenagers are the less able they are to do well in classes, because their mind wanders on other things that they are worried about like doing their homework for their class next period. Whereas if they had less homework or no homework they could focus more on what the teacher is saying. There would probably be fewer kids cutting class because they would be more engaged on what is happening in class, instead of avoiding the class that they didn’t finish their homework in last night. When a kid falls behind in class it’s very hard to catch up because the teachers just assign more homework every night and they have to do two homework assignments in one night.

I believe that kids would be much more interested and engaged in school if the homework load wasn’t so heavy.