Mark - Western Spring, Illinois

I believe that it is human nature to stay on the good side of people. This belief of mine is proven true every day. As long as I can remember, I was always trying to stay on the good side of my teachers, classmates, and my friends’ parents. If I was not on the good side of my teacher as soon as the hard question came up, I was called on. If I was not on the good side of my classmates, their new toys or videogames were now unavailable for my enjoyment. If I was not on the good side of my friends’ parents, my friends were busy if I called.

My childhood experiences are similar to how things are today. My teachers will still call on me for the hard questions. My friends will still be reluctant to call me to come over and play with all their games. My friends might not be able to go out because their parents want them to go to bed early. Things are still very much the same.

I think that humans want to stay on the good side of other people for one main reason. Good things tend to happen when people like you. For example, a teacher may not count the time that you were 10 seconds late to class as a tardy. The teacher may bump your border line grade up to an “A-” from a “B+”. There really are not any bad results of being on the good side.

The human want to be on someone else’s good side is not always directly because they want to be on the good side, but may be because of the good results that may follow. In every conversation that I have with someone, I try to not offend and possibly try to make them happy. However, my want to be on the good side will never be an excuse to suck up to others.