Bill - Richmond, Virginia

In his short poem, “Invictus”, W.E. Henley showed that he had an awareness of the power within himself. Not everyone does.

I believe in the limitless power of the human spirit.

I believe that there is more within each of us than we know.

I believe there is more within us than we could ever expect there to be.

We perceive ourselves as being able to withstand only so much; that we have a saturation point, or a breaking point that is closer than it really is. But sometimes when we are put to the test there is much more there than we could ever have imagined. The breaking point is far, far down the path; so far that we can’t even see it, but not everyone realizes that fact.

Some people it seems, are not able to call upon their deep reserves when they need them the most. Why this is, is a mystery to me.

Maybe it’s free will – maybe they choose not to reach deep down and get what they need. I think that they have convinced themselves that there is only so much reserve available, and that’s all.

Those of us who are put in a situation where our deep resources are called out and we don’t even realize it – we are the lucky ones. We don’t have to make a conscious effort; something takes over. We are ripped apart, torn open, turned inside out and our deep reserve is summoned to the surface through no effort of our own.

I believe that if we all knew the full extent of what was inside of us – how deep our souls and spirits go, that we could all be superheroes.

It’s there.

It’s within us all.

We just have to believe it and know it to make it work for us.

I know it is there. I am a survivor. I am very, very lucky, or maybe blessed, because something took over at exactly the right moment and carried me through an ordeal that I should not have survived. One that I could not have survived through my own conscious effort.

There are those who say it was God’s hand that pulled me through. Maybe it was. Maybe God is within us all and it is only when we are unable to block His will that it works for us.

Flesh and bone is fragile, but the spirit within us, though ephemeral, is tremendously powerful. That is a fact we need to accept and understand. If we could put it to use in all aspects of our lives, there is no limit to what we could accomplish – but how can we do that?