Danielle - LaGrange, Illinois

I Believe in Independence

I believe in independence. I believe that people who rely too much on others are worse off. You never know when a friend will become an enemy, a parent someone you avoid, and a sweet boyfriend a cruel heartbreaker. When you put your faith in someone else, you give them a little piece of you to hold on to for a while. How that piece of you is returned depends on that other someone. You could come back broken.

Maybe I’m just scarred from my experience, because I learned it the hard way. This last summer was a very difficult part of my life, and I confided everything in my best friend. She would always hint about me popping up in emails to another friend. When my curiosity got the best of me, I checked her emails. She had told him everything. Every word she crossed her heart not to tell. A line taken directly from one of the emails, “If you had read her diary you would know all her deepest darkest secrets, which surprisingly all have to do with…” it is easy to imagine where it went on from there. This is the incident that led me to believe in independence. What is one to do when the person they would do anything for leaves them hanging?

Ever since then, I have been trying to make myself as dependable as possible. As far as I’m concerned, the purpose of life is to make other people happy, and my friends are my top priority. I still can’t look at my best friend the same way, and I hope no one ever has to go through the same feeling because of me. I want people to know that I will always be there for them, even when they aren’t there for me.

Everyone has something they depend on. Girls today depend so much on guys and their looks. They spend all their money on clothes and make up, just to get a guy to notice them. The point isn’t to get a guy to want you. It’s to make it so he can’t live without you. People don’t stay beautiful forever, and more than often I find that love fades away with looks.

It’s great to be open with people. I would be more than happy to dump my purse out on the table and say “this is who I am.” But sometimes it doesn’t work out that way. People change, feelings change, and ideas change. So for your own sake, it’s sometimes better to keep people at a distance. When times get though, you only have yourself.