margie - Glenview, Illinois

I Believe in Family

Barbara Bush once said that, “To us, family means putting your arms around each other and being there.” My family is the one thing in the entire world that I can count on. If something bad happens, I always know that my family is there, ready to catch me when I fall. I do not know anyone else who would put their life on hold for me, to keep me company while I am down in the dumps or just having one of those bad days. My three sisters, my mom, and my dad are my support system and I am apart of theirs.

Over the years, my family has had plenty of ups and downs. From losing our old house to mold to moving around to several of different places to births and weddings, my family has stuck together through it all.

When I was in third grade, my sister, Mary, was diagnosed with Juvenile Diabetes. My family visited her in the hospital and when she came home, we all tried to help her transition back into her normal schedule, but always keeping a watchful eye on her. My extended family took turns bringing us meals and made sure we were taken care of. For me, family is always there, but during the harder times, they are even closer.

Another time my family showed support was when my friend died two years ago. He had a brain tumor that he had been battling for several years before he died. The morning we got the news, my mom and my sisters all just piled on top of me, while I lied on my bed. We just sat there for a good forty- five minutes before we got up to try to continue our days. Later on I realized that my sisters were late to school, just to comfort me and stay at my side. I do not think they will ever know how much that meant to me. One day, I hope I can return the favor.

These big events are not the only times that we take care of each other. We listen to each other talk, whether about silly things or big problems they are having in their lives, and knowing that someone cares can take you a long way.

Showing that she cared, my mom would write little notes to us and putt them in our lunches. No matter how embarrassing it might be at the moment we opened it and all our friends seeing the note and giggling, we knew that we were loved.

Now that my 3 older sisters are spread out across the globe, it is a little harder to be there for each other. One in England, and the other two in college, my parents and I try to visit them as often as possible. However, no matter how far apart, we will always be there for each other. “Cause baby there ain’t no mountain high enough…to keep me from getting to you babe.”