Abigail - Evanston, Illinois

I Believe that One Vote Can Change the World

I remember watching the election between George W. Bush and John Kerry, I was sitting on my family room floor nervously waiting for the polls to close and the votes to be counted. I remember thinking, if only I could vote, if only I could change the world. I have always been like that, eager to voice my opinion. Voting is like making a speech on what you believe in, it lets you make a difference.

From 5th-8th grade I lived in London, England. This was about the time that American children learned about the constitution and the US Government, I living overseas did not. When I came back in the middle of 8th grade, I had to learn all of the things that 5th and 6th graders were learning. I was amazed at the greatness of the US Government. I might not always agree with the leaders, but the system is incredible. To have the ability to vote and choose your own leader, is a privilege that most people in the world will never know. However the one thing that amazed me even more was the abuse of this right. Americans don’t realize that they can make important decisions with one vote. YOU CAN!!!

When I was younger I did not believe in this. I had no sense of how important every person on this planet was, and for that matter how important I am. Even now I sometimes think that i’m just a face in a crowd and that i’ll never do anything important with my life. Maybe I’ll grow up to work at McDonalds or end up housekeeping at a Motel 8, but as long as I have voted, as long as I have stated my beliefs I have made a difference. The problem with teens, like myself, today is the are overpowered by parents and mislead by the media. My generation will soon rule the world, and I personally know it will be a better place. I hope to leave the world better off than the way I found it.

One vote could have saved so many lives, one vote could have kept our brothers, fathers, uncles, nephews, and cousins home. One vote can save lives, one vote can change the world.