Allie - Willow Springs, Illinois

“This I Believe”

I believe in the power of dance. I believe that dance is a beautiful way to express emotions in a peaceful and distinct manner. Dance can work wonders for people under stress or anxiety because it takes people away from the world around us. It takes a break from reality and takes you into a dream full of confidence and adventure. Dancing can take you away from the fast-paced reality we live in and take us to a fantasy that only people can dream about. This is what dance means to me.

When I was about ten years old, I was a happy, healthy fifth-grader that my only worry was who was going to take the trash out. Then, on a Monday afternoon after my volleyball practice, my mom checked the voicemail that was left on the home phone. Suddenly, my mom started to scream like I have never heard her scream before. My sister and I started to panic. What did the message say? Who died? All these thoughts were rushing through my head about what had just happened. My mom was crying when she got off the phone. Her doctor called about her mammogram. They had found something. They didn’t know if it was a tumor, tissue, or cancer cells. She would have to go into tests immediately. I couldn’t believe what was happening. Did my mom really have breast cancer? She couldn’t have. She was invincible. She couldn’t die and leave us here. We all promised not to tell my little sister because she wouldn’t understand. That meant we had to go on with life as normal.

The next couple of days were brutal. My mom went in for her tests and they didn’t know when the results would come in. When I went to my tap lesson on Thursday, I was a wreck. I didn’t know how to not be worried or anxious or stop crying. Then, the music started and my feet just started to dance. I felt like I was flying. I forgot all about the outside world and just focused on my feet and how confident I felt in those shoes, getting caught up in the song and letting the rhythm run through my body. The next day, on that glorious Friday afternoon, the doctor called with the test results. My mom was invincible again. They had found only extra tissue and there was nothing to be concerned about. I felt light as air that day. That night, we had a party with our neighbors to celebrate how lucky we were.

I believe in the power of dance. It can take you away from any situation or reality that I will carry with me for the rest of my life. This is what I truly believe.