Kate - Western Springs, Illinois

There are so many different opportunities in life, so many different things to try. So why miss out and only stick to what you’re familiar with? By fitting in with one certain group of people, I would probably feel obligated to follow the crowd and do the same things my friends do. However, I believe in being open-minded. Being open-minded has let me be friends with all different kinds of people, enjoy all different kinds of music, and try out many different things. Instead of sticking to one group of friends, I’m friends with people from all different backgrounds. This allows me to see things from a different perspective, and learn about new things all the time. Of course, this can be difficult. Many of my friends are very different from each other and have trouble seeing eye to eye. One of my groups of friends tirelessly makes fun of the other for being “jocks” and vice versa for being “emo”. They don’t understand why I even bother to talk to the others and wonder how I could possibly like them. Well, instead of looking at how people dress, who they hang out with, and what music they listen to, I consider what their personalities are like. It doesn’t matter to me what they look like or what they like to do. Being open-minded enables me to see things in a different way than other people might see them. I like to try new things and I try not to judge people before I know them. But of course, I’m only human. One of my many faults is that I don’t eat seafood because I think it’s gross, even though I’ve never really tried it. And I will sometimes judge people by their appearance or from gossip I’ve heard about them. I do try, though, to make an effort not to stereotype people and to not assume things about them, no matter how they look or act, or who they’re friends with. I believe in being open-minded because it makes me a more well rounded person and it makes life a lot more interesting.