Grace - Willow Springs, Illinois
Themes: setbacks

It was 4:00 a.m. when the telephone rang. From that single phone call my whole world came crashing in on me. My dad had gotten sick and was admitted to the hospital two days before with pancreatitis. But now he had gone into respiratory distress and was put on a ventilator in the intensive care unit. We were told that he was probably n o t going to make it. Since then, we have been involved in a horrendous struggle that I am still in the process of dealing with.

During the past three months, there have been many times when I felt that I couldn’t get through the day. However, there has always been one thing I knew I could count on, and that’s family. I believe in the closeness of family. I have a close family to begin with, but we have never been as close as we are right now. You cannot understand what I am going through unless you’ve gone through it yourself. I can always count on my family to understand how sad and scared I feel. My mom has been there letting us know that no matter what happens, she’ll take care of us. She has been so strong, which in turn, gives my sister and me the ability to go on. We lean on her for help and comfort, and she leans on us for support and comfort too. In fact, we all sleep in the same room so that we can be together.

My extended family helps also. My aunt died suddenly, and my dad needed more surgery. At this time it was difficult to be around other people, seeing them living normal lives while ours was completely frozen in time. My mom, sister, and I clung together. My aunt and uncle both flew in for the wake and funeral and to help us and it felt nice to know we could count on them. Our plumbing broke at the same time. We had to stay with our grandmother for a few days. She took care of us and it was really nice. She liked having us, and it helped us to be together. We now sleep over there every few weeks just for fun. We also get together more often for dinner. I see her every day at the hospital, and we are especially close. My dad is doing better now, but it’s still a long road ahead. I can honestly say though, that even when our lives and our struggles slip out of neighbors’ and friends’ minds we can always turn to family. They are always there by my side, and I know they will help me get through the rest of this.