Frank - Western Springs, Illinois
Themes: setbacks

When I was in 8th grade, my grandfather died. He was the only grandfather that I had at the time, and I tried to stay close to him, although he lived in Missouri.

When he was first diagnosed with heart disease, he was transferred to Springfield, IL. This was the town where he raised my mom, and her siblings. My family and I drove down to visit and comfort him in his time of suffering. I did manage to see him one time before he died. He looked very fragile and vulnerable, and it was a little bit scary. I left Springfield with high hopes that he would recover, only to find out that he had passed away a few weeks later.

There was a moment during the funeral that I specifically remember. It was when they were bringing the casket out of the church; it would be the last time I would ever see him. I looked around as the men packed him into the car, and I saw all my relatives in tears. The moment lasted forever. When the car slowly glided away, I turned around to see everyone holding each other. It was then that I realized it.

I believe that people find comfort through the acts of others. I found the fact that a simple hug from a loved one in a time of despair comforting in itself. Just seeing my family together like that made me feel better.

My entire family and I had an awful experience that day. An overwhelming feeling of loss filled the atmosphere around us. Although, after the moment where I saw my family helping each other, it was not just loss I felt. I felt a sense of growth. Since then, I think my family is closer, and I am certain that the departure of my grandfather was a big influence of our union.

The whole ordeal was very hard for my family and I, but we got through it with help from each other.