Carolyn - LaGrange, Illinois

I believe in following my dreams. If I always followed my dreams, I would regret much less in my life. However, no one can live a life free of regrets, and there have been so many times when I have not fulfilled what I believe. Luckily, I have someone in my life that can help me get back on track.

This person is my sister. Her name is Allison, and she is two years older than me. As a result of being close in age, I learn a lot from her, most of it being to follow my dreams. Allison was born with an amazing voice, and she always knew that she wanted to be a singer when she grew up. Sure, there were times when she got sick of singing and put her dream on hold, but she never gave up. Now, Allison is a senior in high school, and she is applying to colleges with great opera programs, so she can fulfill her lifelong dream.

There is one sport in particular that I have thought about quitting many times. I have been running cross-country since seventh grade, and because it is such a demanding sport, I have wanted to just give up once every season. Then I think to myself how if I stick with it, I could maybe be able to succeed in it like my sister. Allison never comes out and tells me that I should stick with it; all she has to do is not give up, so I can always use her dream to help me.

Following my dreams is something that helps me live my life to the fullest. Whenever I hear stories about people who tried and tried and then succeeded, it makes me feel like I can experience that some day. So many people in my life say that the years I am in high school are the best years of my life, and they must be right because I am having a great time. But, without sticking with cross-country and other things I enjoy, there is no way I would be having as much fun as I am. That is why I am so thankful to have someone in my life pushing me to follow my dreams.