Thomas - LaGrange, Illinois
Themes: sports

“This I Believe”

I believe in the sport of golf. Golf is one of the only sports a person can play from their childhood to their death. There is no other feeling to me than waking up at the crack of dawn to play golf. It is the best feeling in the world to me. On a warm, sunny day in the middle of summer the best way to start of my day is to play a round of golf. Golf is a simple, fun game. It’s just you and the course; no teammates or coaches, just you, your clubs, and your ball. This sport is also a great way to learn about the values of life. It teaches you that patience is a virtue and that practice makes perfect.

Golf to me has such a fascinating tradition. There is history at every course you play at, and legends at every event. As one of the oldest sports, golf has a great legacy and is a respected sport. One of the things that makes it a unique sport is anyone can play it. You do not need to be fast, strong, or tall to play a sport like golf. If you have patience and a smooth swing you can play golf.

I was thought by my grandpa, who has been around the game for all his life. He was the perfect person to pass the knowledge he knew on to me. I remember the excitement I got the first time I played a round with him. At first, it was frustrating, but he told me not to give up. Today, he has guided me into a skilled golfer. Golf is a way to escape from the troubles I have had and also a way to relax and have fun at the same time.

Playing golf and watching it on television are only some of the ways I enjoy golf. I also caddy at LaGrange Country Club, where I am a respected “A” caddy. I love this job because I get to help other golfers with their games by giving them pointers I learned while studying the course. It is an easy and very rewarding job to me because my knowledge of golf helps me earn money and free rounds of golf at the club. I do not think there is a sport in the world that is better than golf.