Katie - Chicago, Illinois

I Believe…

Life is Short so Live it to the Fullest

You never know where you will end up in life, who you will meet, the places you will go, the experiences you will encounter, or when you will die. Life is full of surprises waiting to be seen, adventures waiting to be made, and tasks ready to be conquered. I believe that you must live life to its very fullest, if you don’t it will just pass you up and you will miss out on all it has to offer. Life doesn’t wait for you to get involved in it. It just keeps going, day by day and year by year.

If you live life to the fullest you can never look back as say,” wow I wish I would have done that”. Some people don’t have the ability to grasp all that life has to offer. That is why for those of us who can, we must take advantage of that and not put any part of it to waste. We must not dwell on things that went wrong in life, or didn’t go as we planned, if we do this we miss out on everything else that is good that may be passing us by.

I know that I don’t always take full advantage of what I am offered. Many times I think back on things that have gone wrong, and look more to the bad than the good I have experienced. I used to think that there weren’t bright sides to things, and nothing could get better after it already went wrong. Then my friend’s Mother died and I realized it doesn’t matter how great of a person you are, death will still come and take you away, and if you haven’t fulfilled your life you won’t be able to come to peace with yourself when it is your time. Luckily for this woman she kept her hopes high as she was suffering from Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, she enjoyed every moment possible with her husband and three young children, right until the very end.

The event that had the biggest effect on me, and helped to change my perspective on life is when my grade school English passed away last year. It was very sudden and unexpected. This wonderful person, teacher, and colleague who lead the choir with her enormous booming voice was one day teaching and the next day being rushed to the hospital. My favorite teacher was gone, and I never had a chance to tell her how big of an impact she made on me, from my love of reading to my love of singing. If there were one thing that I regret in my life, that would be it. I still don’t tell people enough how much they mean to me.

From these and many other things that have happened, I realized that life is short and we have to take it for all it is worth before it is too late to do so.