john - Countryside, Illinois

I believe in immortality. Death and taxes are the only two things you can count on. Some people cheat taxes, why can’t others cheat death? I believe that everyone’s dream is to live forever. People try to live forever through their life’s work, children, or a name on a hospital wing. The easiest way to become immortal is to commit an act of horrific evil or extreme good. You could save a baby from a burning building or you could burn down a building with a baby in it. Which ever one you choose, you are probably going to be in the newspaper. I think that people chase immortality because it makes them feel powerful. They want their names to ring throughout the decades and centuries for everyone to hear them. Everyone wants to do something great with their lives so that they can impress someone that they probably will never meet. Like noble Achilles, a man whose name we will always remember. We will always remember him because of the fact that a body part is named after him. But Achilles is not remembered for his military career. Achilles isn’t remembered for being an invincible war hero but instead he is remembered as the guy who got killed by a measly arrow in the heel. So I say be immortal, but don’t try to be immortal around the world. Be immortal with your family and your friends because those are the people that matter. If you help one person at a time instead of trying to do some ridiculous task to gain glory, then people will truly remember you and not just your deed. A very wise man often tells me, “Always leave a person feeling better than they felt before you met them.” I try to live by this word because that is an easy and fast way to make a lot of friends who will remember you long after you have passed away.