Ellen - LaGrang Park, Illinois

I believe in not taking good things for granted, be they simple joys or complex wonders.

I walked home from school today with my boyfriend of about ten months. It was one of those autumn days when the sun is warm but a cool breeze plays with your hair, and everyone wants to be outside to enjoy the nice weather because they know it will be cold again soon.

As we talked, laughed, and shared in our usual running jokes, I thought to myself. I thought about how beautiful the day was and how unrealistically wonderful life appears to be when I am with him. Indeed, some of the past days spent together seem like only dreams when I look back on them now. I savor each day as it passes, and often after it is gone as well. I love how each time I see him is just as fun, thought provoking, and affectionate as the last.

I feel it is nothing less than a great gift, a random and unearned luck, to find someone I can not only tolerate, but also relate to and even get along with. This, more than anything else I’ve ever experienced, has taught me the value of appreciating what you have while it lasts. For loss is as much a part of nascency as death is a part of birth. I realize that wonderful things come to an end, and I can either accept it and move on or let it negatively affect me.

It may hurt to know that one day this amazing, beautiful person might not be walking home from school with me or holding my hand when I’m afraid, and it may be a harsh reality to have to keep in the back of one’s mind. But accepting the bitter fact helps me appreciate everything that is good or pleasurable a bit more. So when a dear friend leaves, a movie ends, a flower dies, or a warm autumn day spent with a loved one comes to a close, I find the hope and strength to keep moving forward.