Erica - Marietta, Georgia
Themes: carpe diem

Life’s Greatest Treasure

Have you ever stopped to think that every minute that passes is a minute you can never get back? As I write this essay, I use up a few minutes of my life that I can never get back. However, it will be time well spent because I believe that every minute we are given is another chance we have to live, love, and learn. And that time we are given is valuable, so it is important to make the most of the time we have. We are all given time, but what matters most is what we do with it.

Life used to just pass me by, and every minute was just another moment that had no significance to me. People and moments would come and go, and I would look past these without a care in the world. Never did I once stop to enjoy the moment or cherish the time spent with the people in my life. All this changed with two recent events. The first event that opened up my eyes was when my boyfriend left to attend college. Before he moved away, I never really thought about how much time I was able to spend with him because he was with me everyday, and if he wasn’t, I would talk to him on the phone for hours on end. I took this time for granted. Time didn’t mean much to me. I knew that when he left that he would be very busy, but I never thought about how this would affect me. This was a rude awakening for me. Now I only see him once every two to three weeks. So I now cherish this new amount of time that I am able to spend with him. All of a sudden, every minute is as valuable as gold. Every moment I see him now is very special to me.

Another major event took place that opened up my eyes even more. My great aunt was recently admitted into a hospital with internal bleeding. Circumstances were not looking good for her, and her health was depleting. She has been an important figure in my life, and has always been very near and dear to my heart. I never truly valued the time we spent playing games and drawing together. Now that the time she has left here with me is uncertain, I make sure that the time I’m given with her is well spent .

You never really realize what you have until something threatens it. Time happens to be one of those things. Through these events, I’ve learned to appreciate all the time that I have with everybody that I hold in my heart. We are blessed to be given the time we have on this Earth, and the time we have to love those around us. Time is life’s greatest treasure, and in the scheme of things, it’s not the quantity of our time that counts, but rather the quality of our time that does.