Shea - willow springs, Illinois

This I believe

What goes around comes around. I seem to always catch that dreaded winter cold. Could it be karma, or just something everyone deals with? Unlike the common cold, karma is with me at all times. A Buddhists belief is that karma determines someone’s after life. In my mind, it determines the way I live right here and now. Numerous times, karma has been right there to kick me in the butt, remind me I should have done the right thing, or had granted me a minor reward for opening the door for the man with his hands full.

I am a very forgetful person. Most people would remember to bring gym shoes to sports camp, or a backpack to school. It is embarrassing to admit, but I have done both. Even though I always lose or misplace something, the item seems to come back to me somehow (usually due to my parent’s efforts.)

A little less than a year ago, I went shopping with my two sisters. In my hand, I carried a new purse I had just gotten for my birthday which held money, a cell phone, makeup, and other miscellaneous things. Shopping from store to store, we each bought a few items, holding shopping bags at our sides. While I was in one store trying clothes on, I left behind my new purchase along with my purse in the dressing room. Being the scatterbrain that I am, I left the store without thinking twice about my now empty hands. Time went by and I finally realized I had lost all my belongings… but where? As my sisters and I retraced our steps back to each store, a lady approached us and returned my belongings. As I thanked her, I wondered; did my good luck have to do with karma? My bags could have undoubtedly gotten in the wrong hands, but they did not.

I believe in karma. Whether it is being at the right place at the right time, or getting lost items returned, karma is the determining factor for what occurs after choices, so be sure to make them wisely!