Nikki - Greenville, North Carolina
Themes: addiction

This I Believe Essay

I believe in the human spirit. I believe that the human spirit is a light possessed by each of us that can triumph and persevere over all hardships. Growing up in a large family I was showered with love and support. As a young child I was sheltered and perceived my life to be perfect. As I entered middle school my perfect world crumbled and I soon discovered the truth about my father and his past. My parents 14 year marriage was shattered by my father’s drug and alcohol abuse. My mother struggled to keep everything together for me and my little brother. She worked 12 hour days, 6 days a week and never complained. Now that I look back on it I realize that she was teaching by example. She was showing me that no matter how hard life may get, I had to keep pressing forward because tomorrow is another gift. Because my mom’s spirit was so strong, God has blessed my family in abundance over the years. Now that I am an adult I appreciate my mother more everyday for her strength and positive disposition while I was growing up. I know it was not easy for her to do, but I’m grateful that she did. My father has not been in my life since I was 10 years old and I am now 21. My father grew up in an alcoholic and abusive family and never took hold of his destiny, instead he let his circumstance become his destiny. My hope for my father is that he finds his spirit and let’s it lead him. With God’s help I believe that his spirit is powerful enough to change his life and take away his alcoholism and crack addiction. I can hate him and feel sorry for myself or I can love him in spite of his sickness. I choose to let my spirit guide me through life. I do not know if I will ever see him alive again or if the next time I see him it will be at his funeral, but I do know that I love him and I forgive him.