Sarah - LaGrange Park, Illinois

This I Believe…Memories are Precious

I believe memories are precious, and that they shouldn’t be forgotten, or thrown away. Memories, good or bad, are always good to look back on. Good memories can bring laughs, and sometimes the bad ones can, too. But, once the memories have been thrown away, they can never be reclaimed. I do not know how I would live if I couldn’t remember things, if I couldn’t laugh with my friends about embarrassing moments, or if I couldn’t remember not to make the same mistake twice.

I feel bad for my grandfather. He struggles to remember the tiniest of memories, names of his children and grandchildren, because he has Alzheimer’s. Names are memories, and he can barely remember them. I remember once, at my grandparents’ house, my mom and her siblings were talking about vacations they used to take, and they asked my grandfather if he remembered. He tried, but couldn’t remember. He kept saying, “No,” and, “I can’t”. I felt so bad, and I wish he didn’t have to go through that. I can still see his unhappiness when he can not remember, and I never want to feel that. I want to make all the memories I can, because I want to remember them for as long as I can.

I can barely remember any of the times I spent with my other grandfather, who died when I was six. I wish I had more memories of him, but I can’t remember them. Maybe it was because I too young. But, I can’t remember anything about my cousin, who died two years later. This is why I believe memories are precious. If you can’t remember them, how do you know that you had any memories?

Good memories make me smile, and shared memories with my friends make us laugh. I can learn from the mistakes I made from old memories. I can’t even imagine what life would be like without memories, which is why I believe that memories are precious, and should not be wasted.