Matthew - Brookfield, Illinois

This I believe

I believe that music speaks louder than words. And I’m not just talking about when the volume is turned up. With music, one is able to easily express him or herself, show feelings, and create a mental picture. I believe that music speaks a language that words cannot touch on. When putting anything to music it is easier than speaking out loud to other people. It makes me feel as if I am really getting a message across to others when I use music. It connects us deeper than plain words. Having been to a concert recently, I experienced a perfect example of this firsthand. I went to a performance by Roger Waters and the way that the music brought the listeners together was astounding. There was a huge mix of people with different attitudes towards each other, but as soon as the music started, they came together and sang in unison. One song was in memory of an old band member that died over the summer. When they played the song everyone joined in and the result was indescribable. Had he simply told the audience how he felt about the member leaving the band and passing on, the crowd could not have sympathized with him nearly as well. Some people were brought to tears by it. Hearing so many people singing together with meaning and excitement in their voices has an effect on you that no words can express.

Hundreds of people of all ages and backgrounds could not have been brought together by words alone. The sounds can illustrate stories and create mental pictures that can lift your spirit up and make you feel the song and the feelings and ideas behind its lyrics. As a huge music fan, I know that when I listen to a song that I like, I can visualize what the song means to me. I could not experience this same feeling from another person just plainly speaking it. In this way, music conveys images and feelings to me in a way nothing else can.

Music is an essential part of our lives. We should embrace this tool that we have and use it to brighten what we do to communicate our feelings to each other. With music, we can break verbal barriers and fully express ourselves to audiences. It is also probably one of the best outlets that someone can have. There is a genre for ever feeling and a song for every situation. You can let things out and know that the people around you feel the same way. Music is louder than any words or speech.