Lindsey - Illinois

“This I Believe”

I believe passion is one of the key aspects of people’s emotions. What people are passionate about makes them special.

One of the things that I feel passionate about is the University of Illinois basketball. My mom and dad both went to U of I, so I was BORN a Fighting Illini and I basically BLEED orange and blue. Two years ago, the Fighting Illini had an AMAZING basketball team. They were number ONE in the nation for fifteen straight weeks/ and won twenty-nine consecutive games. I watched every game and poured my whole heart into this team.

Then/ the 2005 NCAA tournament was played. The Illini had a number one seed and had a pretty good chance of going a l l t h e w a y t o t h e f i n a l s. They won their first couple games and then they made it to the Midwest regional game. This was the game that decided whether they would make it to the final four/ or not. They played against Arizona and were trailing for most of the game. There even were times where I had to walk away because I got so nervous and angry. In the end/, the Illini won the game in one of the most exciting finishes I have e v e r s e e n. They came back from being down fifteen points to tying the game in the last seconds taking it to overtime. In overtime, they defeated Arizona in one of the closest games they had ever played. They went on to the semi-finals and defeated Louisville. Then/ they were in the championship game, going where no other U of I team had gone before. I was so excited to be apart of this and I felt that 2005 was going to be our year. They played against North Carolina in one of the most frustrating games that I have ever seen. My mother and I had to walk around the block later in the game, because we couldn’t bear to watch this dream season end in defeat. At the end, they were trailing by only a few points and almost came back, but ultimately they were defeated.

I had put so much of my EMOTIONS and PASSION in this team and they had lost. I was crushed. I said to myself that I was never going to put that much of my heart into anything, because I didn’t want to be crushed like that e v e r a g a i n. Later, I realized that that was impossible. Passion is such a big part of my life. It controls a lot of what I put my emotions into. I believe that for something to be important to you/, to even have beliefs/, you have to have passion. Without passion, I believe that people are empty and that passion is what makes all people on earth unique.