Emily - brookfield, Illinois

I Believe in Practice

I believe that practice is a key element to success in life. How often you practice something shows how badly you want to achieve your goal. It is about improvement and wanting to get better. It involves determination and patience. The idea of doing something over and over until it becomes a habit for you to do it and to do well is practice. Whether it is something such as learning how to play the guitar, how to paint, or just plain making improvements in your everyday life practice is required. It is a monotonous task and definitely takes more time than most would like to think about. That is where determination comes into the picture.

When my sister Sara was a freshman, she wanted to run distance. She had made her goal time for the two-mile run and began practicing. Yet it wasn’t that easy, Sara was not particularly skilled at running for long distances. Despite the fact that she was not a runner, she signed up anyway. She loved track and she wanted to prove it to herself and to everyone who doubted her, that she could improve and achieve her goal. She was driven by her own self-doubt and the doubt of others and that is what fueled her. Sara had many setbacks, the hardest being that she was not in shape at all. She was not ready for that kind of exercise. We all knew it, but she wouldn’t let it show. I remember Sara coming home from practice exhausted, frustrated and bright red. She made it her priority to be on time and to put as much energy into each practice. Going to her first meet, my family was nervous that maybe she would not make it to two miles and be too disappointed to continue the season. She proved us wrong, and she made it. Though she was not first in the race she still crossed the finish line with a smile on her face. Sara liked to test her limits. After competition season was over Sara still practiced like she used to. By the time senior year rolled around, you would never be able to guess that she used to finish last.

Why do people spend countless hours at the gym or on the track? They want something so badly, they are so determined that they’re willing to devote time in their lives for it. That kind of devotion is to be envied by all. I believe in practice because it can take you anywhere.