Grecia - Hodgkins, Illinois

I Believe…

I’ve been through a lot that I never understood. Never did I know that some things were just meant to be. Sometimes I just sat and thought to myself that maybe things happen for a reason. Events in my life changed my believing and understanding which is why I began to believe even more profoundly that things really do happen for a reason.

I was always really close to my grandma. Although I would only see her once in a while, I would always want to help her in whatever I could. I would help her to clean, garden, take care of her dogs, I just loved to spend time with her. I never knew that she was sick. No one ever told me anything, I mean I was 13; shouldn’t I have had the right to know anything?

My aunt was 7 months pregnant at the time, this was in July. She had already had 2 miscarriages before so we were all a bit scared of her pregnancy even though she had successfully had a healthy boy two years before. We didn’t want to put her through any stress, so we never really told her anything too crazy that would upset her.

Well, two summers ago I went to Mexico for almost a month and a half by myself. I was having a good time not thinking about anything that was going on back home. I met a lot of new people, I stayed with some relatives, and everything was going good. It was weird, my dad just called out of no where, he said that I needed to go home and that he was going to come pick me up the next day. I was so upset, I didn’t know why this was happening, why would he just take me home when I was having such a great time? I didn’t get it. He came the next day just like he said, and we ended up leaving that same day as soon as he got to the airport. It was so weird. We were on the way to the plane and my dad told me that my grandma was really sick, that she was in the hospital and that she wasn’t doing too well. I said okay, maybe she’ll get better. Well way to break my spirits dad, all of a sudden he just says “Grecia, your grandma isn’t doing too well. She passed away two nights ago from a stroke.” I was in aw, in complete shock… I didn’t know what to say, I wanted to break down crying I really did, but there were too many people and I don’t like to make my business public. I didn’t do anything and I just stood there taken aback. We got on the plane and it still didn’t hit me that my grandma wasn’t going to be with us anymore. I thought that I was just going to go home like normal and still see my grandma there. I just couldn’t believe it. We landed, got our bags, and immediately left to the funeral home. Everyone was crying, especially me. I had just found out that morning that she had past, and I was supposed to cope with all this in one day?

I was so scared for my aunt, I didn’t want anything to happen to her baby, everyone was so anxious for that birth and we weren’t going to let my aunt come down just because something terrible happened, she did after all have something to look forward to. So my grandma died, but we were all going to have to get passed that. My aunt had another life to take care of.

Exactly one month later, my aunt had her much awaited baby. A healthy six pound baby girl named Camila. She is the most beautiful baby I have ever seen. Blue-green eyes, dark brown curls, light skin. She was absolutely beautiful! I was starting to understand why my grandma had to go. I knew that both of them couldn’t stay in this world. Her death was something that was supposed to happen even though we did not want it to. My grandma always cared for everyone. I think that god told her that it was time for her to go, that she needed to make room for the new family.

I already believed that things happen for a reason, but I never really liked that idea. I knew that a lot of things happen, some things good, some things bad, but I never wanted the bad things to happen to me. I eventually learned to deal with it because there were a lot of things that we weren’t going to be able to change. All this thinking, all the sorrow in my life, it just made me believe even more that things happen for a reason. That is my belief, that will always be my belief and I hope nothing makes me think otherwise.