Bethany - Greenville, North Carolina

This I Believe Essay

I believe in phone calls to grandparents.

I believe in phone calls to grandparents. One thing I cherish most about my family is my relationship with my grandparents. I am not like most people I know. I don’t only see my grandparents twice a year. I don’t have to fly to see them. I don’t even dread that trip to grandmas. My maternal grandparents live two houses up from my parent’s house, and my paternal grandparents live only ten minutes away. They have always been close, been involved, and have always seen me at least once every two or three days. Until about two years ago it was that simple. Once I moved to Greenville to go to ECU I had to work to keep the relationship close. No more walking down the road to their house, no more counting on seeing them every other day, no more dinners or even a trip to get an ice cream. This is why phone calls are important.

Phone calls to my grandparents are something special to me, words become extremely important, you don’t have body language to view, no hugs to feel pride and love, and no activities to do together. Phone calls make more time to focus on talking; you can’t make anymore assumptions when you’re forced to communicate over telephone wires.

Every time I need a good boost to my day a call to the grandparents is always a sure thing. They have comforting words, motivating quotes and always a reminder of how much someone else is proud of you. There is a bond between grandparents and grandchildren that parents and children just can’t share.

I believe grandparents can tell you many wise things about life that you don’t know yet because they have already lived through it. They have wonderful hindsight at their age and can give you a more calm and patient approach to many things that you would be so anxious to skip through. My grandparents, I believe, have given me a better sense of taking things in and appreciating the time I have with them and with everything I do. Phone calls to my grandparents are very meaningful and have taken our relationship in a different way. I have always been close to them but now feel closer to them in a different way because of the conversations we’ve had and that I