Dominique - Raleigh, North Carolina

My Blessings come from Prayer and faith in my God

A day of my senior year in high school, I had a very important doctors’ appointment. I had been battling with coming and going Ovarian Cysts since I was around twelve or thirteen years old, and was having similar symptoms like before, so decided to pay my doctor a visit. As usual, I received an ultrasound of my uterus for my doctor to get a good look at my ovaries. In deed it was true I had yet another cyst on one of my ovaries. This time was different though. This cyst, unlike the others was half solid and half liquid. The only way to remove this unwanted cyst was to have surgery. It would have to be removed through my navel. Because I have never had any surgeries in my life, I was scared out of my mind. We set a surgery date, but also a pre-surgery date just to make certain that the cyst was not getting bigger or anything that would advance my surgery date. My aunt, as well as myself is a firm believer in healing through prayer to our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. A few weeks before my pre-surgery appointment, my aunt laid hands on my abdomen and prayed a special prayer for me. When I went to visit my doctor so she could look at my cyst one last time before removing it, miraculously it was gone. This stunned my doctor because she has seen many cases where cysts like my own have to be removed from surgery. She told me “it seems almost like a miracle”. Right then tears came from my eyes because I knew that that blessing came from our prayers to God.

I believe that good things will come to me by having faith in God. Since I have been at East Carolina University, I’ve applied for Nursing School two times, and both times have been denied. I want to be a Pediatric Nurse, or either work in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit. So I decided to pick up a Minor in Child Life. Good thing I did, because I just so happened to get a job working in the hospital with newborns. I still have faith in my God that I will become one of the best nurses in this world. All of my experiences lead me to believe that I will achieve my goal in becoming a nurse, no matter how long it takes. This is my fourth year at ECU, and I am once again applying for Nursing School. My God knows have dedicated I am in pursing my long term goal and he will make it happen. Just the other day I had a fortune cookie that told me “a long term goal will soon be achieved”. I believe my blessings come from praying to, and having faith in my wonderful God.