Caylie - Greenville, North Carolina
Themes: forgiveness

I believe that it is important to forgive. Everyone must forgive at some point in their lives. Forgiveness is a trait that brings peace to many. I have learned forgiveness to be hard at times in my own life not only toward people, but also at times toward God.

I have struggled in life to understand why some things happen. I have pondered why strong and amazing people have died so young. I still wonder why I am still alive, but they had to leave so early. This is where my story of hard forgiveness begins. How do you forgive someone who kills your best friend? How do you face that person and tell them that it is okay? This is exactly what I had to do.

I was sitting in school when I heard over the intercom that my best friend had been in a wreck. I later found out that due to her extensive injuries she had passed away. I panicked and was in so much shock that in that moment I wanted most to know why. For that second I hated God for what he had taken and for what I at that time thought he had done. It took me a long time to realize that there was not an answer to why and that God was not to blame. I had to believe that he took one of the best people because he needed her for something more. The hardest part of my story was when i found myself face to face with the man that drove the truck that killed my friend. I always wondered if I would be able to forgive him and there he was standing before me. I began to cry and to my surprise so did he. He wept like a child, but he was a grown man. He grabbed my hand and began to apologize profusely. I shared many stories of just how wonderful and special she was. i talked about her beautiful smile because that is what everyone remembers her by. I then found myself, to my surprise, looking into his eyes and saying that it was okay. I told him that I forgave him. He immediately broke down and said that he had needed that. He told me that he was so very sorry and that he had been living with so much guilt since that accident had occured. We began to hug and relief came over me. I now felt the peace that I had been desiring since her death. I relized that forgiveness was an important part of the grieving process.

Forgiveness is so hard at times to give, but it is a huge part of life. At times it almost hurts to say the words, “I forgive you,” but once they are said you will feel a sense of release. Forgiveness is an essential part of life, not only for the person who has done something, but also for the victims. So, as hard as it is to say those three little words to someone that has hurt you, you must pull deep within and find it in you so you will be a better person in the end.