Lori - Greenville, North Carolina
Themes: tolerance

This I Believe Essay

What I believe is simple; I believe the world would be a much better place without stereotypes and judgments that are placed on us everyday. Through passing through campus, sitting in class, going out at night, our everyday life we are all guilty of this. I wish the world could just come together and realize we are all the same, we are all humans. The color of our skin, the color of our hair, or the weight we are should not matter. I believe that these stereotypes should disappear, we are all human and we are all equal. So, why do we stereotype people the way we do. Essentially if we all believed in equality and thoughts of non-judgment we could make stereotypes disappear.

In the world today why are so quick to judge. We pass judgments and prejudices on people every day. We have become completely Americanized, influenced by pop culture and the beliefs of others. What some of us don’t see is that we are all human beings and we do not know everything about people. This weekend I actually met one of the most ignorant people I have ever met in my life, he declared he hated everyone who was not Caucasian and decided that anyone who was not, did not need to procreate. I didn’t think these feelings still existed in the world, but it is apparent they still do. Why can’t we view people as equals are we raised this way to judge people? I’m pretty sure we learn in kindergarten that everyone is the same and treat others as you would want to be treated. So why do we do this? As a student of East Carolina I am judged because I am from New York, and I am also judged because I don’t fit the stereotypical mold of a perfect female. Why should any of this matter to people, get to know me and then pass judgments because essentially you do not know anything about me.

In a perfect world this could happen, but just walking through campus you can see this will never happen. We are bombarded by views of politicians, parents, friends, ideas on TV and this influences our lives a decisions. We essentially need to unlearn everything that has ever been taught or seen by us, we all pass judgments and prejudice all the time without notice. When we walk a little faster because there is a male behind us at night, or when we pass judgment on the way someone looks we are all responsible. The question essentially is how to unlearn these behaviors? I consider myself a very mindful person and I look at everyone as equals no matter their color, size, race, anything. I date people not based on superficial things, or race, but on as they are as a person. Though sometimes in life you cannot resist the urge to stereotype; this is a huge thing that will take all of America to conquer. In the end I believe there is some hope that maybe we can teach people to view everyone as an equal and on the same playing ground. That we can unlearn the behaviors that we have become accustomed to, maybe this can happen one day. We all just need to realize we are all equal, so when you see two men holding hands or a black male and a white female walking on campus don’t judge because you yourself would hate to be judged also.

After all is said and done, believe is a very important word in my life, it is tattooed on my wrist and has a great deal of meaning to me. I believe strongly that everything will get better and everything will turn out you just have to have hope. Things, life, everything always gets better and the eventually will you just have to believe in yourself and the world around you.