Everson - Greenville, North Carolina
Themes: children

This I Believe Essay

They run with Wings

I believe there is another world at work outside the one we wrap ourselves up in everyday-a world where dreams are praised and celebrated, and dreamers are the catalysts that carry the future on their backs.

When I was young, I discovered my love to entertain. It didn’t matter what I was doing, be it pretending to host my own game show from the kitchen of my family’s two-bedroom apartment or telling jokes that I heard on the television to my friends. I just loved to get up and entertain an audience. I wanted to be a game show host, and my family encouraged me to act out my dreams. So I did. Life couldn’t have been any sweeter.

The older I got however, the canvas that I used to paint on became smaller and smaller. This wasn’t my doing! I still wanted to be an artist, an entertainer! My medium had evolved from game show themes and clever jokes, to microphones and musical notes, but the dream was still the same. The difference was telling people what I wanted to do with my life no longer received a smile of adoration, but a long discussion about the realities of the world, and the true path to success. That path usually follows the track of college, degree, job, and then retirement. This was the path that would insure my success. My dreams are no longer acceptable.

I know, however, that when dreams become a reality, happiness is born. As children, we understand this. As we get older we lose sight of our inner child – that dreamer. The kid that knew if you just jumped high enough, you could touch the sky ends up on a milk box. That child is replaced. Gone is the child that ran with wings, replaced with an adult that walks with a safety net. We’re too afraid to fall and scrape our knees. That child with the band aid on, however, was the happiest person I ever knew. That’s what I want to be, happy.

So now, when someone asks me how I would describe myself in one word, I answer “child.” My career is my music. My music is my dream. I can see it still, in that other world just outside. So I run. I can almost feel the wings.