Stephanie - Greenville, North Carolina

I believe in faith.

As a child I was raised prominently on two things, spirituality and athletics. Growing up, the things that took up most of my time, besides school, were church activities and athletic events. One particular instance sticks out in my mind.

I was about 12 when my father and I were planning a trip to visit the local, sing A baseball team, the Kinston Indians. I remember being so excited about going, days and even weeks beforehand. The day of the game, the weather was nothing close to being the nice, sunny day I had been hoping for, but we decided to head to Kinston just in case the game was still going to be played. The car ride was about an hour long, so I had plenty of time to talk with my dad and listen to music. The rain didn’t look like it was going to let up, so I kindly asked my dad to turn the radio off. I told him I wanted to say a prayer that the rain would stop and we would be able to enjoy the game with no worries of a storm. I said my prayer out loud and shared the faith with my dad that our prayer would be answered. As we got closer to the ballpark, I could see the clouds starting to clear out and the rain had stopped. Many weathermen may have predicted that the rain would have stopped by a certain time that evening, but I knew it was my faith and trust in God that had stopped the rain.

Today I still live by that philosophy. I know that even when life gets stressful, and I still have “rainy days,” that I can say a prayer and have faith in my God that everything will work out as it should. The calming feeling that I get from my strong faith is what carries me through my day. Whether it’s something as trivial as wanting to watch a baseball game, or something as significant as finding the love of my life, my faith has a way of showing me that all things are possible, and will be as they should be. I have faith in God and myself to overcome any obstacle that is put in front of me, and the value of that is indeed priceless.