Toyta - Greenville, North Carolina

I Believe In Healing

I believe in healing. My brother suffered from an illness since childhood that the doctors were unable to diagnose. In March 2004, he was diagnosed with a rare skin cancer. He received treatments at Duke Hospital to help put the cancer into remission. After receiving total body radiation due to the abnormal cells returning in six weeks, he had to receive a bone marrow transplant. To God be the glory, my baby sister was the perfect match for him. He received the bone marrow and was back riding his motorcycle the next day.

As months passed his health began to fail him. He was hospitalized at Duke November 2004. His body began to reject the bone marrow transplant, and he developed graft vs. host disease. The graft vs. host disease took over his gastrointestinal tract. We watched his health go downhill day by day. During this time he had good days and bad days, but he never complained. He continued to fight the battle until the end. He began to accept his destiny and faced the fear of death. Every weekend my family traveled to provide love and support. In March of 2006 the doctors gave up on him. The doctors said that they had done everything they could do for him, but it was a test of our faith. We continued to stay positive and told him that regardless of what the doctors said, God still has the last say.

That week, family members from out- of- state came to the hospital to show support and love. In a time of need God used me to pray and lay hands on my brother. My brother was released from Duke and transferred to Pitt Memorial. The transfer allowed us to be closer. My sister and I visited him every day. The pain medicines stopped working and the doctors at Pitt said they had done all they could for him. So, it came to him and us making decisions about what to do. We had a family meeting and declared that we would bring him home to die. For two weeks the family labored over the tasks to keep him comfortable. Even though we knew what was to come, none of us gave up on him or God’s power of healing. In May 2006 we said farewell, “see you later” to our twenty-eight year old friend, son, father and brother. God had healed his inner man so he could be with him. God also healed us to prepare us for the day of his home going. I believe in God’s healing power.