Chekimbrell - Greenville, North Carolina
Themes: purpose

In life, there are many unexpected challenges that we must face. Sometimes we even question the outcome, but I believe everything happens for a reason.

My family and I have been big popcorn eaters for as long as I can remember. As a child, I always tried to master the “popcorn trick”. My older brother would always show off his skills by throwing popcorn in the air then eating it. When I was about 7, I decided to up the game and use a quarter instead of popcorn. Alas, the trick was mastered, and then I thought to myself, “I just swallowed a quarter!” Knowing that my mother wouldn’t be too happy with my “brilliant idea”, I decided not to tell her. All of a sudden, my throat became very sore, and before I knew it, we were on our way to the hospital. While in the hospital, I met this really nice lady next door. It seemed normal to me that my mom was very helpful and caring towards her, but then it became very strange when this lady, that I barely knew began to hug my mom and cry hysterically. My mom told me that she was my aunt, and that they had not seen each other in years! I later learned that my mother and aunt were split at childhood and had no idea they were so close.

Although my experience was life threatening, I still believe that it was meant to be. If I hadn’t decided to swallow a quarter that night, then the reunion of my family would not have taken place. This simple trick that I decided to do became life-changing. Since this experience I have been faced with many of life’s challenges. I believe that everything I do, and the people I meet in life, serve a purpose. Sometimes I have no idea what the purpose is at times, but I try to keep an open mind about the things that challenge me in life. There are times when I feel like my burden is too hard to bare, but I believe situations are placed in our lives to make us stronger. Everyday I try to live my life to the fullest because I never know what tomorrow brings.

I have come to realize that, in some way, the people who come and go in my life and the things I do all take part in making me who I am. I am a woman of strong faith and believe that God has a plan for everyone. Sometimes the decisions we make in life put us in situations that are hard to handle. I truly believe that living “free”, meaning to embrace the things life has to offer, can help us endure the unexpected circumstances we deal with in general. So with every step I take in life, I do it with a purpose.