Daniel - Strongsville, Ohio
Themes: peace

Lessons in LEGOS

As a young boy I would lock myself in my room and spill my LEGOS across the floor. Hours would be spent working my way through the mess of green and red and blue blocks until I had found just the right pieces to fit my design. Then I would sit and carefully fit my pieces together, adding and removing and revising as my creation took form. While working contentedly with my LEGOS something happened. My mind would go quiet; I was so at peace in myself that for just a little while, all that I could hear or see were those little plastic bricks. Somewhere in the chaos of colored plastic I had discovered my own place of quiet content.

We live in a noisy world. There are too many people with too much to say, and something that is heard all too often is that the world is in disarray. Thinking about the present and the past I realize that there is more to it than this. It is true that much of the world is in a poor state and that change needs to happen, but looking closer I see something more. I see kids playing in the park and adults enjoying their work, I see athletes, musicians and artists doing what they love. These are all ordinary people, in the very midst of a chaotic world finding havens of peace in their lives. Simple joys, involved hobbies, or a way of life, they all grant us a sense of peace and contentedness.

As a college student I am familiar with chaos. With papers, projects, and parties, social life, faith, clubs, sports, studying, music, and TV, I nearly forget about my classes. Sometimes, in the midst of this rush of possibility and the uncertainty it carries, I need an escape, an outlet. Like my LEGOS, the world is a mess of opportunity and burden, but as long as we can find our own peace within the chaos then the world cannot be as bad as some say. As a child my LEGOS were not merely plastic bricks, they had become a simple means of escape, a sort of conduit of content into a place of recharge and renewal. In this place worries fade, hurts are forgotten, fear disappears, and tranquility takes hold. I leave this place refreshed and refueled and am free to step back into the chaos in confidence and at peace. Peace in my life is freedom from fear and anxiety.

How could this world, ripe with opportunity for joy and peace, possibly be that same world wrought with disarray? It is clear that peace can live and even thrive amongst chaos. Peace, the kind that makes life meaningful, is found within, within me and within all people, through the things that we love. This I believe, that as long as people can find peace in their lives then the world is not such a bad place to be.