Megan - Greenville, North Carolina

I believe that family is love. I have come to the conclusion that no matter what mistakes I’ve made in the past and how many I will continue to make, as well as how I may have disappointed my loved ones, they will always forgive me and support me through the good times and the bad. I know through personal experience what it’s like to disappoint and let down those who care so much about you but I also know how supportive, caring, and loving my family has been and will continue to be. There are always those decisions in life that people make and tend to regret and with such a supportive family, I have been able to work through the rough times and will always have shoulders to lean on and open arms to run to. I made a very idiotic decision a few years ago in high school and I embarrassed myself and my family but because they love me unconditionally, they were able to look past my stupid mistake and trust that I wouldn’t do something like that again. It took time to recover from the mistake and regain their respect and trust but I did it and I can say that people sometimes need to make mistakes just so they can learn from them. Unless you experience things first-hand, you can’t know how someone feels and how you’d handle their situation. With that being said, my motto in life has always been that “everything happens for a reason.” I will never understand why I of all people had to learn the hard way but I guess it happened to teach me a lesson and that’s the best conclusion I’ve been able to come to.

I always think back to the fact that my parents divorced when I was fairly young and it amazes me how well they’ve been able to get along. Strangely enough, my whole family gets along very well considering my parents, brother and I stopped being or never really were that “one big happy family.” We all love, care for and respect one another even if there are those bad and careless decisions people have made. The problems in our lives are faced head-on and we work together to make things okay again. My family is the most important thing in my life and without my family, my love, I’d have nothing and I definitely wouldn’t be where I am today.