Ashley - Lagrange Park, Illinois

The fraise “don’t judge a book by its cover” is often times taken to literally. One of my mother’s many little sayings is that “Only God can judge”. Whether you believe in God, many gods, or no god at all, that saying means something. If the only person who could judge others is the one who knows every aspect of our world and our being, then no one person could ever judge another. Passing judgment on people is now a part of human nature. It is a terrible habit that I and many others have been accustomed to for years. When people pass judgment on others it is often wrong and permanent. No one person can ever fully understand another ones life. For petes sake it is often too complicated to even understand our own lives sometimes. I believe it is wrong to pass strong judgments against other people.

In life we will have to make judgments. We will have to judge a situation and make a decision. It is not bad to judge objects or situations, it’s natural. The problem is when people judge other people. When a person does not care how many accomplishments you have but rather what clothes you are wearing is the problem. The character of a person almost doesn’t matter anymore. In all fairness you can not judge someone unless you know every aspect of what they have been through which may have brought them to where they are today.

I have grown up to love and accept my parents for who they are. They are hard working and they care about my sisters and me a lot. Like most people, my parents have not always made the best choices. Our community sees a divorced family as a broken home. A father who drives a truck and a mother who works most of her time as a sheriff in a dirty jail is just unacceptable to some. My mom is not a PTA mom or a stay at home mom. My dad is also a little ruff around the edges. People are so quick to judge my family in our little community that rumors often get spread by people we have never even met before.

There are of course those people who are open minded and against stereotypes and generalizations. Then again, sometimes it like as if judging others is encoded in human nature and that is suppose to make it okay. I want to live my life with out judging a book by its cover. I want to look past generalization and stereotypes and get to know a person. At only the age of sixteen, I always try to get every side of a story and try not to pass judgment on people. It is hard to be accepting and understanding. In the society we live in it is hard to avoid passing judgment or being judged but as a person I will try my best.