Shanika - Greenville, North Carolina

There may come a time in your life where it seems like others don’t believe in you. It may cause you to feel like you are all alone in this world. In situations like this, and at a time in your life where the people who are most important in your life stop believing in you, it’s important to believe in yourself. Believing in yourself gives you the determination that you need to carry on through any trials and tribulations in your life. I can say that I believe in myself. I believe that I can do anything that I put my mind into. Growing up, I never realized how important it was to believe in myself. There have come many times in my life where believing in myself was the only way that I could overcome obstacles, so I can honestly say that I would not have made it this far in life if I didn’t believe.

My mother died when I was about seven years old. The older I became, the more I realized that I needed her in my life, since my father wasn’t there. I felt that there was no purpose for me in life because people around me didn’t believe in me and made me feel as if I wouldn’t become successful in life, which made me feel that I wouldn’t be anybody when I grew up. I know that my mother lives in me and when I started telling myself that I can do anything that I put my mind to, I started to become more successful in life.

Another experience in my life that has showed me that I can do anything is when I changed my major from nursing to family and community services. When I was in nursing school, I was experiencing so many things that had nothing to do with school that my grades started to suffer as a result. Consequently I ended up having to change my major in order to continue with school. It was my junior year so I lost hope and thought that I had already wasted too much of my time. I kept telling myself that I could get through this and luckily I am happy with the major that I have chosen. I am the type of person who loves working with others and I enjoy helping them in any way that I can. I am still determined to get my nursing degree and I know in my mind and heart that I am going to do it. If you can’t believe in yourself then how are others going to? That is a question that I feel needs to be answered by anyone who wants to do anything positive in life. It is important that we all believe in ourselves. Do you believe in you?