Mike - Western Springs, Illinois
Themes: carpe diem

Unexpected Opportunities

I believe there are times in life when you get unexpected opportunities. When those opportunities come around you have got to take them and run with them just to see what happens. Those opportunities may change your life for the better or worse or even both. But if you do not take those opportunities you will not live your life to its fullest potential. Even if it makes your life worse life can be changed for the better the next time you get a chance. I believe this because of the Hinsdale Central football game that I played in last year. I was the back up running back on the A-team, and I only played when we were up a few touchdowns in the second half. The Hinsdale game was the last game of the year and the biggest one because of Lyons Township’s rivalry with them. That game one of the starting running backs was injured about halfway through the first quarter so I went in to play. LT had not scored yet so it was kind of like starting to me. I always wanted to play the whole game and here was my chance! The offense started driving down field and we scored! Unfortunately when I came off the field my head hurt and that might have meant a concussion. Luckily though the trainer said I did not have a concussion and I went back in to play the next series. I played to the end of the last quarter and had a blast, but three plays from the end of the game I got speared in my left leg right over my thigh pad. Even with the pad I got a bruise all the way through my thigh and could not run and could barely walk because of it. I went out and our last running back went in for the last two plays. When the day started I had not expected to play much because Hinsdale was a good team and would keep the score close, which they did. Instead I played almost all of the game and it was one of the best experiences of my freshman year. That game was one of those opportunities that make life better and worse at the same time. On one hand that was an awesome game that made me happy for weeks and still does today when I think about it. On the other hand the bruise through my thigh would not let me walk right for five days and hurt the whole time. The bruise healed and then my experience was completely positive. If the starter had not gotten hurt I would not have played and I would not have gotten hurt, but I would not have gotten to have the great memories that I got from that game. Because of that game and the belief it formed I will always take every opportunity I get days and years yet to come.