Kateherine - LaGrange Park, Illinois

Live by What You Love

I believe that the best thing you can do for yourself is to follow your instincts and do what you love. I have always had a lot of energy in my life and have loved to express it through singing, dancing, and playing music on flute. In order to feel content with my life, I devote myself to what I love to do.

I have always understood and related well to music. I hear music, and my body moves to the rhythm and I’m dancing. I have tried many types of dance, but the one that I always loved most is tap dancing. I remember when I was about 4 or 5 and I bought my first pair of black and shiny tap shoes. I slipped them on with glee when my daddy came home from work and bounced around on the tiles of our kitchen floor, beaming from ear to ear, listening to noise made by the wild, uncontrolled movements of my legs and feet. I loved tap and all other types of dance from the beginning, and have progressed with it until I now dance with a high level of skill and joy. When I move with the rhythm of the music, I feel full and free of all the pressures in my life for that one hour, when I pour my soul into what I love.

When I deny myself of what I love, I feel frustrated. When I made the transition to high school two summers ago, I only had room in my schedule to take either band or chorus. It was a tough decision to have to pick between two of the things I love the most but, ultimately, I chose band. I do love playing flute with the band, but I miss chorus. When I hear my friends talk about what new fun song or technique they learned in chorus that day, I wonder if I made the right choice. I always come to the same exasperating conclusion: If I could choose again, I’d choose both. I still have trouble accepting the fact that I have to settle on just one of the things I love.

I believe in living your life to its fullest by doing what you love. Through all of life’s uncertainties and pressures, doing what I love most and following my instincts is the one thing that has always made sense. I believe I need to channel my energy into what I love to do in order to feel complete and content with my life.