Matt - Western Springs, Illinois
Themes: hope

I Believe in Miracles

When I was 5, about ten years ago, something COMPLETELY unexpected happened that affected my whole family. My cousin became extremely ill for no apparent reason. She became completely unable to do ordinary things that we take for granted such as feeding and dressing yourself. No doctors could figure out what was wrong with her. She was taken to the BEST hospitals in the nation, and no one/ could figure out what was wrong with her. It seemed as if/ there was no hope left. She was on a feeding tube and could not even walk. My cousin was literally living off of a machine. Stumped by her strange illness, the doctors also thought there was no chance of her living, let alone recovering. They wanted my uncle to “pull the plug,” but he could NOT do it. He still had faith that she would live on, even though every one else thought her death was near. The illness went on for a few more years until my cousin started to show signs of a recovery. Through the time of about a year, she kept on getting better. Finally, it got to a point where she was able to go back to school. She had missed 5 years of school and started out behind where she left off. Amazingly enough, my cousin was eventually placed back into the class that she was in before she got sick. By her junior year in high school, she was in all regular classes with the rest of her classmates. She graduated high school on time with honors. Though some of the affects of her sickness are still visible in her as well as her immediate family, she is a normal nineteen year old with a driver’s license and even a job. I believe in miracles because I witnessed this event. Sometimes, something great may happen for no apparent reason when it seems like there is no more h o p e l e f t.