Gina - LaGrange Park, Illinois

Every year, I go camping at Wisconsin Dells with my family, aunt, and three cousins. We sit around the bonfire every night, cooking s’mores and hot dogs, and we talk, play games, and tell jokes. I cannot tell you exactly what games we played, what jokes were told, or even what we discussed because I do not remember. I do remember something though; I remember laughing all night long, whether it was just a little chuckle or completely cracking up until our stomachs hurt.

I believe that laughter is an essential part of life. Laughter is a little, but very powerful, action. It is a feeling of happiness. Laughter impacts our everyday lives, whether we notice it or not.

Laughter makes everybody’s lives better in many ways. First, laughter cheers us up when we are having a bad day or are in a bad mood. Laughing makes us temporarily forget our problems. It momentarily makes us feel happy, joyful, and carefree. Laughter also helps in tense situations. The best way to “break the ice” of a tense situation is to say something funny that will hopefully make whoever you are with laugh or, at the very least, flash a smile. The situation then seems a lot more relaxed for everyone. Finally, everyone must be able to laugh at themselves from time to time. Embarrassing moments happen; you cannot always avoid them. But when they do, laughing at yourself can make the embarrassing moment less embarrassing, and you will forget about it quicker. Everyone makes mistakes, whether big or small, and laughter gives you the power to move on from them.

Laughter is something unique to every person in the world. How often someone laughs varies for every person. It may appear that some people never stop laughing. They are the ones who tend to find everything funny, even when it isn’t. Then, there are the people who barely ever laugh; they are more serious. But when they do laugh, their laughter is even more special because it is a rarity for them. In between, there are the people that laugh a lot, but not constantly, and have serious moments also. I am one of those people, and, I have to say, the laughing moments are the ones I remember and like best. The sound of laughter also changes from person to person. Some laughs are loud; some are soft. Some people even snort when they laugh. No matter how it sounds or how often you do it, laughter simply makes life better.

There is no feeling I love more than the feeling I have when I am laughing so hard that I cannot stop, no matter how hard I try. I never want it to go away, but unfortunately, it does. Then, I just wait for the next time laughter comes over me, and I laugh until I can laugh no more.