Dan - LaGrange, Illinois

The Life-Altering Choice

I was born of a teenage pregnancy. The moment I came into this world my future had already begun to take shape. My birth parents were only freshmen in high school when I was to be born. Caught between complicated choices between their future and mine, they made the extremely difficult decision to put me up for adoption. This choice that was made before I even came into the world has aided in the creation of who I am today. Which is why I believe that every choice you make will effect and alter someone else’s life.

My birth parents were at the top of their classes and were in many advanced classes; later going on to successful careers after college. My birth father was also the star of the volleyball team, eventually earning a scholarship to college. My birth mother was from a very strict Korean family and when she found out she was pregnant, she was kicked out of the house for disgracing the family. Faced with challenging academic pressure and those from family and friends, my parents made the tough decision to let the future me go. With months left to go until I was due, my parents worked closely with an adoption agency to find me a home. My birth parents searched and searched for willing parents to adopt me through certain requirement. They first wanted me to have successful parents with good jobs and my mother also wanted me to have a strong Korean influence with either Korean parents or Korean siblings. From these and a few other requirements, they were narrowed down to seven or eight families. Bob and Noel Conroy were among these with adopted Korean daughter Kim. Through statement papers, conversations and research, my birth parents finally picked the Conroy’s as a suitable home for their baby.

The decision was final. I was born and just two days later, I was picked up from the hospital by my new family. From that moment I began the path of my new life. It was not the life I chose or the one I picked. I could have just as easily gone to a different family and started a life somewhere else. I would not live in the same house, have the same family or the same friends. I will never know how my life could have been, only how it is; and this is my life because of my birth parents choices. The impact my adoption had on my life is why I believe that every choice you make, big or small, will affect someone in someway.