Molly Minton - Indian Head Park, Illinois

The Greatest Moment

I would be someone you would call a pessimist. The words “never” and “can’t” are used many times in my vocabulary. My mother would always say think positive and visualize on what you want coming true. I never believed this. I always thought it was some kind of therapy thing because my mom is an art therapist. My opinion changed when one of the most exciting things happened to me.

Ever since I was young, I loved the ballet The Nutcracker. My favorite part was the Arabian part. It was so romantic and the costumes were really amazing. During Christmas, radio stations play the Nutcracker on the radio. When I was about 4 or 5 I would grab a scarf from my dress ups and try to unravel myself like the Arabian dancer does in the nutcracker. Now the Arabian part is very complicated in the ballet because the female dancer has to be able to do the splits, be able to lift her leg up by her head without the help of arms, and some other incredible contortions. Let’s just say that is no small feat. I sadly was never able to do even the splits despite the fact that I was a dancer. Also the dancers who perform the major parts in The Nutcracker dancers have been dancing for their whole life almost every day in order to be that good.

One year I decided to be in a performance of The Nutcracker. I received the minor part of the ditsy maid. It was fun and I enjoyed my part. One day the director comes up to me and says, “I want you to step in for the Arabian princess at the bow because she wants to bow as the snow queen.” I was more than willing to do this and really excited. This was my big chance to accomplish my dream! I got to sit on top of a dancer’s shoulders in the whole Arabian outfit at the end of each performance! His name was Rudy and all the really good high school dancers who were flirting with him for months. They were so jealous considering he never even acknowledged their presence. On the last day he gave me flowers which made me even happier and them more jealous. Now even though this was not my real dream it was probably the closest I would get. I did not really even care though because stepping in for the Arabian dancer was one of the greatest moments of my life.

I believe in the power of visualization. It can help all of your greatest ambitions to come true. It is not some corny thing that one hears athletes doing before a meet or that actors do before performing. It really can work if you believe it will happen. Visualization allowed me to experience a dream of mine to some degree and I believe it will assist me in other things as well.