Shadawn - Grifton, North Carolina

“This I Believe”

I believe in sharing. Why have it all to yourself? I ask myself. I like to share my wealth with others. Sometimes it can be the smallest item, personal experiences, loose change, wisdom, or love. I’d rather share these items than to keep it all to myself.

One of the things I can remember as a toddler is sharing. I shared a twin bed with my older sister; I shared candy with my younger brothers, and shared my lunch with my friends. As a toddler, I saw how happy it made my siblings and friends feel when I shared with them. Not only did it make them happy, it made me feel happy and jolly on the inside. I felt miracles were being worked because we all had equal amounts of the same things.

Sharing is something I still enjoy doing now at the age of 32. I share my deepest thoughts with my wonderful husband. Sharing my deepest thoughts with him allows me to communicate with a loved one instead of keeping feelings built up inside. Sharing my thoughts with my husband prevents me from becoming depressed and anxious about the future

I enjoy sharing my life experiences with young people, praying that it will save at least one boy or girl from going through life the hard way. I share with them the importance of respecting and loving yourself. I share with them the importance of why I dress like I have a million bucks but I probably only have two cents in my pocket. I share with teenagers the scariest moment of my life back on January 18, 1987, when I experienced death and God sending an angel to my hospital bed to awake me from the deep sleep I was in. I share with them that I ended up in the hospital after being shot in the upper chest and the bullet ricocheted and still is lodged between my breast bones only centimeters from my heart. I share with them it was all in God’s plan because I was not being obedient to my grandparents and for me to know where my blessings came from I had to experience an awakening. Fortunately, I am alive today because someone was kind enough to share their blood with me.

If I see or know of a person in need of clothes, shoes, food, or money; I will do my best to bless them with the blessings God has given me. I enjoy sharing my knowledge of job skills, parenting skills, communication skills, and any other skills I have to help others along their journey. I share the wisdom that I received from my great-grandparents with the younger generation of our family. It makes me feel great to know that I sat still long enough to hear what my great-grandparents shared about our family history; therefore, I can continue to pass it down to the next generation.

Most of all, I feel so blessed when I am able to share with others. I believe sharing knowledge, love, experiences, support, food, money, guidance, or maybe just a roll of toilet tissue helps make the world a better place to live.