Michael - Indian Head Park, Illinois

I believe in math whether it is as simple as addition or as complex as calculus. Math is the law. It is used in almost every aspect of life and it’s the same no matter where you are in the world.

I remember when I was younger; my cousin from Japan came to visit. It was hard to talk to him because neither of us spoke the same language, so we usually didn’t talk to each other very much. One day I was doing my homework at the kitchen table and was struggling with math. By using some nonverbal communication I told him about my dilemma. It only took him a couple minutes to review my work and see what I was doing wrong. From then on it was almost like math became a universal language that we both understood and could communicate to each other through. We managed to finish my math homework without speaking a word of each other’s native language. Even though he was taught math in a different country half way around the world it was the same as the math as I learned here.

Math is an important part of our society. It’s used for sports statistics, investing money, and pretty much everything else. Without math our lives would be very different. We would not have the luxury of taking a plane across the country or even something as simple as counting lunch money. Math is all around us and is constantly being used by people of all ages. Whether it’s a student doing their homework or a mathematician creating an equation to find the angle of a triangle its still math, and will be around till the end of time.