Rachel - LaGrange, Illinois

This I Believe…

I believe that there is kindness in every person. This may come across as a cliché statement, but in my experiences kindness is an underlying belief that all people cherish. Just when I feel that all the world has to offer is cruelty and distrust, somebody does something to renew my faith. When I turn on the television every morning all I hear is about the latest homicide or house fire; and although that does go on in the world I never hear about the small good deeds that everyday people do on a daily basis. It can be as a person picking up something that I have dropped or a smile from a person who I have never met before. Kindness is an underlying theme in the world around us, sometimes it is just slightly overshadowed.

A family friend of mine did one of the kindest things that I have ever heard. She is a strong African American woman whose heart is to large to be measured. For a several months every time she saw this Caucasian homeless man, she would pick him up let him use her shower, give him clean clothes and a warm meal. She knew little about him, but decided to not necessarily take pity on him but offer a helping hand. After sending him on his way one day she opened the paper to find a wanted ad. A Caucasian man was looking for his brother and Hersene, my family friend, recognized an old picture of the man she was helping in the paper. She contacted the brother, who initially did not believe her and hung up the phone on her. She called again and convinced him that she honestly thought the man she had been helping was his brother. Once the brothers were reunited it turned out that the man had suffered a head injury, causing him to have amnesia.

When I was first told that story I could not help but feel that I did not contribute enough to the world around me, but in actuality I do my best to offer help to anyone who is in need, be that an animal or a person. Even when I know what goes on in the world I can not help but to remember all the times I have seen acts of kindness. An old woman being helped across the street by a perfect stranger, someone holding the elevator, a car stopping to let an animal cross the street; when i look closely there is kindness all around, it is just a matter of acknowledging those small moments of kindness and continuing to help those around me.