Lauren - Indian Head Park, Illinois

I grew up in a small subdivision in Aurora, Illinois from when I was born, until I was 11 years old. While I lived there, I had a great deal of friends. My best friends were, Cari, April, KC, Sarah and Emily. We always said how we would be the best of friends. Well shortly after my 11th birthday, my parents decided to move our family to LaGrange, Illinois so my dad could be closer to his office. Like any other eleven year old girl, I was devastated! I could not imagine leaving all of my amazing friends behind, and could not bare the thought of losing them forever. That miserable day came, and I knew it was time to say goodbye. My best friends promised me that they would all keep in touch and we would get together as much as possible on the weekends and during the summer.

After a month or so, I started to warm up to LaGrange. I loved being able to start out fresh. Although I was enjoying it in LaGrange, I could not help but miss all of my five best friends that were still in Aurora. Only my friend, Cari, kept in contact with me after the move. I would try to reach the rest of them, but they just did not seem to have the time for me anymore. It broke my heart knowing that my so-called “best friends” just did not care enough to make an effort to see me.

This is when I realized who is really there for me in life. I believe in best friendship. It is something so valuable, that you can not give up on. Cari and I have been best friends since 2nd grade, and now live 45 minutes away from each other. We have the type of friendship where nothing could stop us from being friends. I do not know what I would do without her. She is the only reason I go back there ever weekend. I believe in best friendship because it is rare in this world to find someone you feel that sort of connection with and nothing will get in the way of it.