Evan - Indianola, Iowa
Themes: carpe diem, death

I believe that life should never be taken for granted because you never know when you could lose it. I have had the painstaking experience of burying both of my parents by the age of 20. My mother died when I was 15 years old to causes that are still unknown to everyone. My father died last October due to complications from surgery and two massive blood clots forming in both of his lungs. In both instances I was miles away from them. My mother died while on a business trip in Minnesota. My father died on a weekend while I was away at college. While they died in other places, I wish I could have been there to be with them.

Six months after my mother died my brother and I decided that we would approach my dad about the possibility of dating. We were both of the mindset that no one should die alone. We were tired of seeing him at home by himself if we would go out with our friends. At first he wasn’t sure, but soon after our conversation he brought Sue into the family. Sue came into our lives, not to substitute for our first mother, but to give us the same love and affection that she would have given us. I was glad to have her in our lives because she brought so many great things into our family.

Over the years, between their deaths, I got to know Sue very well. She has a son and a daughter that live in Iowa City. The son is an art teacher and the daughter is a real estate agent. She has been a very big asset to my life because she has always been there if I needed her.

After my father died last year, Sue and I became even closer. She had divorced her first husband for many reasons but was as happy as she could have been with my dad. As I did, she loved my dad more than anything. When he died, I wasn’t sure where to go or what to do. I felt very alone and disconnected from everything but Sue made me realize that everything was going to be fine.

My beliefs stem from the experiences I have had. Living life everyday is if it were your last is the only true and fulfilling way to live. I know that I have no regrets as to the direction my life is heading. I am enjoying my college experience and know that whatever future may come for me I will be ready for it.