Beth - LaGrange, Illinois

The Smallest Gesture

Last April, my dog had to be put to sleep. After my dog died, I was really depressed. My dog had been a part of the family my whole life. I did not know what life would be like without him. It was hard to see him suffer so much, and I knew that putting him to sleep was the right thing to do. However, when something goes wrong, I believe that the smallest gesture can help in the healing process.

The next couple of days of school were really hard. Focusing was not an easy task for me. All I could think about was how my dog would not be greeting me at the door when I came home from school.

Several of my friends sent my family and I cards, and two of my friends baked us cookies. What surprised me most was what made the biggest difference. One of my friends wrote me a note saying that he would always be there if I wanted to talk and that my dog was not going to be suffering anymore.

Do not get me wrong, I really appreciated everything that all of my friends did for me, but what comforted me most was the note my friend gave me. Whenever I became upset or felt like crying, I would take out the note and read it; then I would feel at ease.

I believe if someone is having a bad day, the smallest act of kindness can make all the difference. Even something as simple as a note can be more consoling than many grand gestures.

Since then, I try to perform little acts of kindness for the people in my life, hoping it will make a difference for them. Whether it is failing a test, spilling coffee on your shirt, or losing a pet, I believe that doing something kind for someone can make all the difference in the world.