Megan - Brookfield, Illinois
Themes: respect

I believe in treating everyone with respect. No matter how old, thin, fat, or ugly the person is. Everyone in the world is a person and deserves the same respect you would want them to give you. But a lot of people don’t seem to see it my way.

Two years ago, I received the letter of the results for Impact Dance Studio’s Company members. I had made the highest company, Purple, for the second year in a row. A new guy named Steve had made the same company. Steve was the only guy on our team and sometimes danced strangely on the side. The girls thought that this was weird, so they decided to ignore and pick on him. All the girls talked about Steve behind his back and laughed at him without him noticing in class. I thought it was really rude of them to do this. I was chosen to do a tap duo with Steve that year. At first I didn’t want to do it because I didn’t even know him. But I went home and thought about it and decided that tap was his strong point so I would give it a shot. We learned our dance and started to perform once the competition season began. I got to know him a lot better. He was really nice and still kind of weird, but he was a good person to me so I didn’t care. Usually after a competition the girls go out to dinner as a company. Steve was never invited by the girls, but this time the parents organized the dinner and invited everyone. He already had plans that night with his family but he thought that maybe this time the girls would be nice and include him as part of the team. So he went with us. But once again they were mean and when Steve sat down everyone scooted their seats inch by inch a little further from him. I noticed and I’m sure he noticed. I don’t think he should have to put up with the way he was being treating. I can’t believe that we were in high school and acting this immature around one person. I think the girls should act like a team and stop excluding people from the group. That night changed the way I saw the dance girls and Steve. I felt bad for him and I was embarrassed to be with the girls who were oblivious to the fact that he has feelings too. After watching this happen to Steve, I’ve made a conscious effort to remind others to respect not only him but everyone around us. I believe I help make the world a better place by being kind to others.