Stephanie - Countryside, Illinois
Themes: change

October 1, 2006

I Believe

I believe in making a difference in the world and putting back all that I take from it. When you do something with only yourself in mind, you are only benefiting one person. But when you help another person or do something to benefit our planet, you can help a great number of people, and this is a much better use of your time and energy. This is what makes our world a better place to live in.

I was watching Princess Diaries and towards the end of the movie one of the characters said something that really inspired me. She said, “ …and then I thought about how many times a day I say the word I. All we ever do is think about ourselves. And how wasteful is that when there are billions of other people in this world. But then I thought, if I ever thought of the other billions of people, that would be a much better use of my time.” I admit that this quote was from a Disney movie but even so, the meaning behind it had a big impact on me. From then on I decided that helping others on this planet would be a much better use of my time. I began to start caring about our world’s resources and doing considerate little things for others. This made me feel much better about myself because I knew that I was not only taking from the world but also putting back what I took to try to make this world a better place.

Another influence that inspires me is my mom. She always puts others before herself and is kind to everyone she meets. She demonstrated her kindness one cold February day. My mom went to the laundry mat to wash a load of clothes because our drier was broken. When she got there she saw a homeless lady laying lying on the freezing cement sleeping. She had no blanket or pillow, and was not dressed very warmly. After my mom washed her clothes, she quickly stopped home and picked up a blanket from our house. When she got back to the laundry mat, the homeless lady was still sleeping so she laid the blanket on the lady and went back home. My mom did not do this because she wanted to be seen doing a good deed; she did it because deep in her heart she truly cares for other people. She reminds me that there are good people in the world and everyone can make a difference. She is such a good role model for me and helps me be a better person by teaching me how to be selfless.

Whether it’s as little as turning the water off when you brush your teeth, or holding the door open for a stranger, you can give back to the world. It does not matter how small or what the gesture is, as long as it is benefiting more than yourself. Always think of others before yourself and you too can make a difference in the world. I believe in changing the world for the better, and it starts with you and me.